Sunday, January 26, 2014

The first (almost) blurb

I should have spent the last few days working on possible blurbs (the short introduction on the back cover of a book), but a four day trip to Arizona derailed me. The following is my first submission. It's not really a blurb; it's actually the very first thing I wrote regarding this story, scrawled over two years ago. It was supposed to be the intro to the book, but as much as I loved it, it never really fit as the first page.

So I got to thinking, it might make a great blurb. It needs editing( as I said, it was the first random thoughts that I jotted down when the idea hit me), but check it out and tell me what you think. I still plan on writing a few other possibilities, but consider this the first submission...If you read this while glancing at the back of a book, would you be intrigued enough to make the purchase?


I have a tattoo on my face.

I’ll tell you how I got it soon enough. What I want you to know is how uncomfortable it makes people. I see the fear in their eyes; the trepidation. They look at me, and know that I am different. It doesn’t bother me anymore, though. I’ve been through enough, at this point, that a fearful glance is the last thing that I bother to concern myself with. The tattoo, which was given to me, years ago, covers most of the scars lancing across my face. The scars were weakness.

The tattoo was a symbol of control and vengeance.

I could jump to the present. I could tell you all about the shattering of the Outer Rims, the fracturing of Oris, or the night that Sammuel was taken. None of this would make any sense, though.

I have learned through hardship and experience that if you want to understand the present, you have to understand the past. So the past is where I will start. What you need to understand, however, is that even though I am telling this story, it doesn’t mean that I am alive at its’ conclusion.

I did my best; tried as hard as I could. Sometimes, however, Fate doesn’t give a shit, and will steer you where you need to be.

Whether you want to be there or not.

So I stand before you, now, as a vengeful, sacrificial, lamb. I will tell you the tale of how I fought the ferals, and there is only one place that I can start: at the beginning.

Back when they tried to claw my eyes out of my face;

Back when I was still human.

1 comment:

  1. Your "blurb" does build the suspense, the curiousity, intrigue. From my point of view, and I don't think it matters that this is not my style of genre, when I came to the phrase "doesn't give a shit", that build-up was dropped. It's not at all because of the word "shit". To me the phrase is out-of-place with what you have going, a delicacy of wording, yes delicacy. Perhaps there is something else you could consider. The interest was resumed, however.

    ReplyDelete